Saturday, August 17, 2019

Portable personal transportation (among other things)

All my life, I've used and loved riding bikes. Even while in the Navy, I purchased a bicycle in France during a deployment, and even started a bicycle club on the aircraft carrier I was serving aboard, and unknown to me till I read about it by chance, my first ship the USS Forrestal (CV-59) kept that fine tradition of a bicycle club till its final days!

Back in those days, folding bikes weren't the craze they are now, and is easily being replaced by electric bikes. But in my mind, having a bicycle that can be folded and transported easily is the wave of the future!

I picked up my first folding bicycle over a decade ago while in San Francisco, buying online and the bicycle making its way - unknown to me at the time - from across the Pacific Ocean! Amazingly, it got to me in less than a week, which I thought was impressive if not impossible, but it did! I had used it a few times, but not as often as I would've wanted since the City by the Bay is full of hills! I had lived then in the middle of hills! I'd ride it from North Beach to Fisherman's Wharf, then along the Embarcadero to the Ferry Building. Once I even rode from the Ferry Building all the way to the Golden Gate Bridge and back to North Beach!

In my pre-teen years, I had a bicycle and by the time I was 14, I had rode my ten-speed bike from North Beach to the Golden Gate Bridge and stopped for fish and chips in Sausalito at Arthur Treacher's Fish & Chips. Then I'd ride to Mill Valley, then up Mt Tamalpais, then speed all the way down to Stinson Beach for lunch, then ride all the way on the same route back to North Beach! These days with my advanced age, I can hardly believe it happened at all, and all several times before I turned 15!

Now Sheila and I have folding bicycles, two in Niagara Falls and two in Rota, one being my original white folding bike of San Francisco fame! Everywhere we ride, people stop us to say how much they like our folding bikes, and that they have never seen them before!!

Have you ever ridden a folding bicycle before? I know there are some pricey full-size mountain bikes available that fold too!! Amazing!!!! 
Our bikes in the minivan!
Sheila and our bikes along the Upper Niagara River



Our folding bikes are turning heads at the lower Niagara Gorge

No comments: